At APEX Thermal Services, we specialize in the design and installation of Solar Thermal (Hot Water) Systems. The mid-Hudson Valley and Capital Regions of New York State actually have sufficient sunshine to make such an investment worthwhile. On the other side of that equation is the rising cost of energy. Basic systems will heat about 75% of your annual domestic hot water requirements, while larger systems can assist in reducing your heating bills. The costs for installing solar are rather stable, so eventually, the rising energy costs will help make the final decision for you.
People decide to buy a solar hot water system for a variety of reasons. For one family we helped recently, the children in the home wanted to do something positive for the environment, and they prompted their parents to look into installing solar, which they did! Their investigation discovered that investing in Solar Hot Water was actually a stronger investment than a Solar Electric System, which is usually the case due to initial cost and the high efficiency of solar thermal collectors.
In most cases, the main reason to invest in a Solar Hot Water System is to save money on fuel costs, which are significant these days. Other reasons include:
- Introduce environmentally friendly technologies in their home which help reduce oil imports
- Increase hot water delivery capacity, to meet the needs of a growing family or facility
- Investment to improve monthly cashflow
- Adding Value to your home or business
As an investment, here are some reasons to go with a Solar Hot Water System
- Hold on to your hard-earned money. Once your system is installed, your monthly utility savings will begin to add up. Over several years, the system will more than have paid for itself. With occasional maintenance (every five to seven years), the system can collect free energy, month after month, for upward of thirty years! As the price of heating oil increases (Last winter, I was scared to call the oil company for a delivery after my first $850 fill up), it only makes sense to cut down on heating oil usage by going with a Solar Hot Water System.
- Simple Payback: Residential Solar Hot Water Systems, with Tax Credits, will typically pay back within 4.5 to 6 years, figures untouchable by typical solar electric systems, where 10 to 15 year paybacks are the norm.
- Government Incentives Residential: Solar Hot Water and Solar Electric Systems are eligible for tax credits from NY State and the Federal government. Tax Credits can equate to up to 55% of total system cost. There are additional rebates from NYSERDA for electric systems, but remember, the systems cost three times more than Solar Hot Water Systems!
- Government Incentives Commercial: NY State does not offer a tax credit for commercial solar installations, so you will have to rely on the Federal tax credit of 30% of total system cost (no limit)!
- Energy conservation and renewable generation adds value to a home. National surveys have shown that for every $1 in energy savings $20 is added to a home’s value.
Call APEX Thermal Services for a free quote on a Solar Hot Water System.